Monday, October 10, 2011

I Heart My iPhone

There’s an apparent anomaly in my quest to reduce information overload.  My iPhone.  You’d think a device that lets people reach me whenever and wherever I am, through calls, texts and emails, would bring me angst.  But no.  I love that thing.

Turns out I’m not alone.  A couple of weeks ago in the New York Times, branding consultant Martin Lindstrom shared the results of an experiment he co-conducted that looked at subjects’ brain activity when they saw or heard a ringing iPhone.  Lindstrom reports there was a “flurry of activation in the insular cortex of the brain, which is associated with feelings of love and compassion. The subjects’ brains responded to the sound of their phones as they would respond to the presence or proximity of a girlfriend, boyfriend or family member.” 

I must say, I’m not surprised.  The iPhone deserves all the ardor it inspires.  It's the one digital device that delivers on its promises.  It keeps me connected on the go, provides information and entertainment in the palm of my hand, and well, makes me feel cool.  My iPhone keeps me from being a digital shut-in awaiting an important call or email in my office.  I drive to my destination faster after consulting my traffic app.  I scan bar codes as I shop to compare prices.  And I fully understand how to use my iPhone, which is more than I can say about the other technology in my life.

Lindstrom ended his New York Times piece by urging us to turn off the iPhone from time to time, in order to make genuine human connections.  Of course, I agree.  But don't be surprised to see my iPhone in our Christmas card photo this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment