Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Drop the Ball, Volume One

This morning around 7:45 a.m. I was feeling pretty good.  The book bags were packed, little teeth were brushed, shoes were on – the kids had plenty of time to make the 7:55 a.m. bell.  Then my first grader told me he was today’s Star Student.  And he needed to write five interesting thing about himself and bring in something for show and tell.  My blank stare told him it wasn’t happening.  He got a little teary.  I felt like crap.

The kid is six, so it's a miracle he remembered at all.  But it wasn’t his responsibility.  The onus was on me.  Luckily, my husband, director of damage control, flagged down the teacher before school and got us a do-over for this Friday.

Our teachers have these wonderful web pages with all the information you’d ever need to know.  But even though it’s October, I’m just not in the habit of checking.  Rather, I wasn’t in the habit of checking.  After the kids left for school, I marched over to my laptop and made the first grade teacher’s web page my homepage.  No excuses now.

I'm fortunate to have a forgiving child, and by this afternoon the morning’s snafu was a non-issue.  Now, if I could just forgive myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment