Wednesday, September 28, 2011

No News is Good News

My husband and I uphold the quaint tradition of reading the morning newspaper.  I like starting the day on top of the news, and it’s a great excuse to keep drinking coffee.  But some days, reading the paper is more than I can take.  By page five, I could be sucker punched by a Middle East bombing, famine in Africa, and two drive by shootings just miles from my home.

Over the years, my husband has developed the terrific ability to censor news that will be too much for me.  I’ll come downstairs and he’ll say, “The front section of the paper is already in the recycling bin.  Don’t look for it.”  But when I get to the paper first, I have to take my chances.

We all get that feeling that the world has gone nuts.  “Why did I bring my children into this dangerous world?”  “That’s it.  I’m moving to Canada.”   How do we stay informed but still protect our tender hearts?

Two words:  news blackout.  Go ahead, take a break.  Unless it's your job to be a news junkie (like, say, Anderson Cooper) step back for awhile.  We’re all afraid of appearing clueless, but I doubt you’ll get slammed for not knowing this week’s Tea Party hijinx.

While you’ve got your head in the sand (in a good way), decide what kind of news cuts you to the quick.  Then donate to an organization that promotes world peace, international economic development, violence prevention, whatever.  Do it regularly. 

You could, for example, sponsor my good friend Lila as she bravely runs a 5K on October 23rd.  She’s raising money to help inner city teens fulfill their college dreams (http://www.active.com/donate/UmojaR4R/LilaLeff).  I did.  And damn, I feel good.

2 comments:

  1. My dear Michele, I've read all your posts now and I salute you. You're ahead of me in techno-savvy; this is my first blog post.
    I sincerely hope that your e-venting works. It appears to me that it would based on what you've written. You're not alone.
    Just now I'm at the gratitude end of technology. I'm stranded at home alone with a broken ankle. I'm glad to find friends such as yourself here in my little laptop, making the world a better place. Now I'm going to pledge toward Lila's (?) run.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your contribution! You rock.

    ReplyDelete