Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Bluebird of (Un)happiness

I hate that little blue Twitter bird.  Cannot stand him.  Every time I see his jaunty profile, I hyperventilate a bit.  My pulse quickens, my eyelid twitches, my stomach clenches.

Twitter represents the most stressful aspect of my online life.  It’s so frenetic, so constant, so pervasive.  I’m a marketing gal, so it’s my professional duty to tweet my heiney off.  But you know what?  I don’t wanna.

Some businesses really, truly should be tweeting up a storm, but I’ve weighed the costs (my stress) vs. benefits (maybe a new client here and there), and I’ve decided to opt out.

So on Sunday, September 25, 2011 at 1:57 p.m., I deactivated my Twitter account.  The earth didn’t swallow me whole.  The marketing gods didn’t hurl a lightning bolt my way.  Nothing happened.  

From now on, when someone asks me if I’m on Twitter, I’ll simply say “Nope,” and smile serenely.  Then I'll refer them to my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment