Monday, September 26, 2011

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

I notice a lot of untruths spilling from my mouth.  “When things calm down.”  “When I come up for air.”  “When the dust settles.”

But really, things never calm down, I never come up for air, the dust never settles.  I will always be busy, and I know it.  It makes me feel better to say these things to myself and others, but I know in my heart of hearts this magical period of tranquility will never come.  Cross one thing off my list and three more items are added on.  Clear my inbox, and it’s full again before I know it.

Perhaps the best way to find peace is to make peace – make peace with the buzz of information and activity in our lives.  When older folks talk about aging, they often say, “It’s better than the alternative!”  Maybe living with information overload is better than the alternative (e.g., living a desperately lonely life off the grid with twenty-seven cats).  Those of us blessed with family, friends, homes and hobbies will always have data to sort and act on. 

I still need to sift through all the information that smacks me upside the head every day.  But I’m also going to feel gratitude for some of it.  I’m lucky to get a soccer game schedule, because my son is strong and healthy.  I’m lucky to keep track of that parent-teacher conference, because my daughter attends a great public school.  I’m lucky to get a mortgage bill, because we own a home.  I’m lucky to drag myself out on a Wednesday evening, because my book club wants me there. 

I’m lucky.

1 comment:

  1. I too struggle to keep up with all the technology that, on a good day I see as a benefit of keeping me connected to the world and able to use the technology in a creative way for work and my personal life. On a bad day, it takes up so much time and moves at a pace that keeps me panting. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete